Saturday, February 28, 2009

Soldiers Coffins to be Photographed

I am trying to give this administration a break on my criticisms until they have shown what they can do with handling the Iraq quagmire and the Afghanistan escalation in violence. In my opinion they made a great decision to make public a withdrawal date for major operations in Iraq. However, they sure screwed the pooch on their next major announcement. The administration has decided to lift the blackout on photographing our dead soldiers. Last I checked every nightly news and Sunday political program runs a list of American casualties during their broadcast. Almost everyone knows how many Americans have been sacrificed for this war. My question is why must we embarrass the Americans who decide to fight for this country by showing their coffins get unloaded from a military cargo plane.

The argument for allowing these photos is that it shows Americans the true cost of war. If that is the case, why not show the video footage of Americans actually getting killed? That would sure show the 'cost of war'.

What happened to decency? I sure hope the President shows more respect to 'his' troops in the future.


--Also, if we are going to discuss the cost of this war, why not discuss the benefits?
I will save that lengthy digression for another time.

0 comments: